I met with some of the young people who live there, and we brainstormed a few ideas that I was able to take away and work up into initial design ideas. I decided to take a mostly typographical approach - the young people and staff would be doing most of the painting on their own, so my designs had to take that into account.
After a few discussions and feedback, we settled on the six designs below. Each mural is 8ft x 4ft and painted on hardboard which would be fixed to the wall later. I drew out the pencil linework, and then went back in at the end of the project to do some tweaking and tidying of the painting.